Coordinator – Housing Supports for Women Program
A. AGENCY DESCRIPTION
The Elizabeth Fry Society of Edmonton (EFry) is a Non-Profit Organization that works to empower and support women and girls who are criminalized and those who are at risk. EFry offers programs and services that address the root causes of crime, support women and girls to make healthy choices as contributing members of our community, and that ultimately have a positive impact on community safety.
B. PROGRAM FUNCTION
The Elizabeth Fry Society is hiring a Housing Support Coordinator to implement and coordinate our Housing Supports for Women Program. The successful candidate will be responsible for all project
implementation, and coordination initiatives. The Housing Supports for Women Program will provide satellite housing options for women who: are reintegrating particularly after a federal sentence, are Aboriginal, have experienced sexual exploitation/ human trafficking, and/or are seeking supportive reintegration where they may (re)unify with family.
C. MAJOR DUTIES
1. Program Implementation
- Work with the Executive Director to implement the work and action plan
- Liaise with housing authorities and key stakeholders to establish and confirm partnerships
- Recruit, screen, and select suitable program participants
2. Direct Service
- Provide case management, individual support, resources, and referrals for clients.
- Coordinate group workshops and goal setting
- Maintain current information and sufficient materials and supplies for program delivery
- Recruit, train, assign tasks to, and supervise volunteers and/or practicum students as required
- Liaise between clients and housing management to ensure grievances are addressed
- Act as arbiter when necessary to avoid eviction and maintain partnerships
- Advocate according to the Landlord and Tenancy Act and all pertinent legislation
- With other Elizabeth Fry Society coordinators to ensure the smooth transition of clients
- With resources and referrals in the community.
- With key stakeholders including housing partners and funders as requested
- Maintaining current information about community resources including attending community and interagency meetings
5. Written and Statistical Reports
- Collect and provide monthly statistical reports
- Assist with program evaluation
- Write reports as directed
- Team involvement; assisting with Agency priorities such as fundraising, Christmas, etc.
- Other duties as required
D. STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
1. Knowledge and Ability
- Familiarity with the objectives and values of the Society.
- Strong understanding of the issues affecting criminalized women.
- Knowledge of the Canadian criminal justice system, criminal law, and the Landlord and Tenancies Act in particular.
- Exceptional knowledge of the housing options available in Edmonton.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to problem solve, to motivate people, to organize, to plan ahead, and to manage a diverse workload.
2. Training and Experience
- 3-5 years experience in a professional setting, preferably non-profit, with proven ability to work well without direct supervision.
- Formal education in a human services field is mandatory: sociology/criminology, law, political science, psychology, or related social sciences.
3. Other Qualifications
- Must be eligible for security clearance
- Experience in supervision of volunteers and/or students
- Must be well-versed in housing-related advocacy
- Must be non-judgmental and have maturity, tact, and common sense
- Must have valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and reliable vehicle
- Must have a flexible schedule
This is a full-time position with benefits (after successful completion of probationary period), based on a 35 hour work week. This is a contracted 1 year position with possibility of extension.
Salary: Based on Agency Salary Grid
E. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Submission instructions (No phone calls please):
- Submit resume with covering letter to Toni Sinclair, Executive Director via email to email@example.com
- Deadline: Until a suitable candidate has been selected.