Visitation Centre (Centre 170)
The Elizabeth Fry Society of Edmonton, in partnership with Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, operates the Visitation Centre (Centre 170) for the new Edmonton Remand Centre. The Centre uses videoconferencing technology to connect prisoners with their family members and friends. This technology makes visits safer and child friendly, and allows for more visits and longer visiting hours.
During a visit, a videoconferencing terminal is used by:
- The prisoner in his or her living unit in the Edmonton Remand Centre
- The prisoner's family and friends at one of the 60 visitation booths at Centre 170
Seven days a week:
9 a.m.–11 a.m. | 1 p.m.–4 p.m. | 6 p.m.–9 p.m.
With these hours, up to 1,200 visits a day are possible.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before a scheduled visit so that the check-in process can be completed. Visitors arriving after the start of their scheduled visit may not be allowed to visit.
10403 - 172 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5S 1G4
Free parking is available west of the building, behind Centre 170 in the lot provided and on 172 Street.
Edmonton Transit bus stop 8648 is one block south of Centre 170 at 172 Street and 103 Avenue. Plan your trip with the ETS Trip Planner.
Visitation is by appointment only. Walk-in visits are not permitted.
Each visit is limited to 25 minutes. Same-day visits are not permitted.
To book an appointment:
- Dial 780-638-5454 (Edmonton and area)
- Dial 310-0000, then dial 780-638-5454 (toll-free access in Alberta)
All visitors must properly identify themselves upon arrival at the visitation centre. Visitors are required to show one piece of valid government-issued photo ID that shows a visitor's date of birth. Examples include:
- A driver's license
- A passport
- A treaty card
- An Alberta ID card
Each prisoner is permitted 1–3 visitors per visit:
- One adult, or
- One adult and one child under 18, or
- One adult and two children under 18, or
- Two adults, or
- Two adults and one child under 18
Visitors under the age of eighteen are not permitted to visit a prisoner unless they are accompanied by a responsible adult. Visitors under the age of eighteen who claim to be married or living common law with a prisoner may be allowed to visit:
- After authorization by the centre security office, and
- After confirming their status through proper documentation
Proper documentation may include:
- A marriage certificate
- A rental agreement made out to both the prisoner and visitor
- A statutory declaration
Read the Visitation Room Rules before you plan a visit. Violating any of these rules may result in:
- Termination of your visit and/or
- Suspension of future visitation privileges
It is important to show respect, for yourself, other visitors, and staff during your time here. Rules:
This will ensure a good experience for everyone and ensure positive, future visitation access.
- Visitation Centre staff will not tolerate any form of abuse from visitors.
- Inappropriate or sexual conduct will result in immediate termination.
- There is no standing allowed once the visit has begun. This could result in immediate termination.
- Minors (under the age of 16) must not be left unattended, and be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Offensive language, gestures, or pictures will not be permitted.
- Any pictures you intend to show in your visit must be approved by staff prior to the visit.
- Visitors may not communicate with prisoners other than the one they are scheduled to visit.
- All activities at the Visitation Centre, including CCTV, are subject to monitoring and may be passively recorded and/or video recorded.
- Visitors appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be admitted into the visitation centre.
- Proper attire is required at all times. Shoes and shirts must be worn.
- Recording devices — including cameras, video cameras, audio recorders and cell phones — are not permitted in the visitation centre.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the visitation centre.
- Violation of any of the above rules may result in the termination of the visit and/or suspension of future visitation privileges.
For more information please contact:
Athena Matthysz - Manager
Phone: (780) 638-5458
Kaitlyn Theroux - Assistant ManagerPhone: (780) 638-5458